Gumbo Mail is our rendition of the popular SendMail
program, implemented on IBM i .
It is a software utility that allows you to send email with MIME attachments
directly from IBM i .
With Gumbo Mail you can add timely, convenient and inexpensive email output
to any application. Gumbo Mail integrates with IBM i's built-in mail support to provide delivery to any email recipient. All processing
is performed on IBM i,
providing a stable platform for generating email.
The main function of Gumbo Mail is accessed by running the Gumbo Send Mail
(GSENDMAIL) command. The command creates a MIME compliant email message
from the specified input and email address(es) and hands it off to IBM i for delivery using IBM i's built-in mail support. The command's features include:
- Control over the message headers including:
- From: address.
- Multiple To:, Cc:, Bcc:, and ReplyTo: address(es).
- Confirmation of delivery (read receipt) request.
- Direct entry of custom MIME headers.
- Support for digitally signing the generated email. Recipients can be
sure of the email's source and verify that it has not been altered.
- Support for creating messages in a variety of character encodings including
- Support for specifying the message body directly, as text or html.
- Support for including files from IBM i's Integrated File System (IFS), either as attachments or in the message
body with support for alternatives.
- Support for specifying priority.
- MIME and S/MIME compliance.
- Double Byte Character Set ( DBCS)
- Support for IBM i distribution lists.
- A Java free IBM i implementation that avoids the JavaMail API and the Java Virtual Machine.
Commands to help you trouble shoot and, optionally, automatically configure IBM i to send mail are also included with the product.
Gumbo products include a range of standard features that make them easy
to use, easy to manage, and easy to live with:
- Extensive manual, both online as menu option 1 and in PDF PDF (See downloads page).
- Context sensitive help for every command and parameter.
- Menu that provides organized access to the product's features.
- The product is packaged as a licensed program and participates in the full
range of support provided by IBM i.
Licensed program installation, PTF management, etc. are handled with the same commands used to manage IBM®
- Unlike IBM®
Licensed Programs, our products are packaged to allow multiple releases
to be installed at the same time. This facilitates new
- Product PTFs
are available on the web or can be retrieved and installed in a single
our Retrieve Gumbo PTF (RTVGSIPTF) command.
- Our products include a hot site friendly automatic
authorization function that allows you to immediately move operations
to any backup or failover machine without contacting us for a license
key or authorization code.
- We include a Check Product Authorization (CHKPRDAUT) command that allows
you to exercise the product's authorization algorithm and insure there are
no authorization "surprises".
- An installation verification option is available on the menu. You can
easily verify that the product is correctly installed.
- All (applicable) objects in our products are digitally
signed allowing you to verify their integrity. Modifications that could
jeopardize the security of your system are easily detected with IBM i's Check Object Integrity (CHKOBJITG) command.
- Our products are upward compatible with future
IBM i releases.
You can install a new
IBM i release without
installing a new release from us.
- Our products are compatible with all IBM i security levels. We use only published interfaces.
For additional information see: Answers to the most frequently
asked general product questions.
A fully functional 30-day trial of the product is available
for immediate download. There is no obligation. To receive an invoice, fill out an Invoice
Gumbo offers two choices for licensing our IBM i software products,
system wide licensing and partition licensing. These are mutually exclusive. A
system wide license applies to a specific system serial number and processor group and is good for any and all partitions in the
system. A partition license applies to a specific system serial number, partition number,
and maximum processor capacity,
and is not valid for a system that has not been partitioned. For the overwhelming
majority of our customers, a system wide license (~ 98%) is the best choice.
A partition license (~ 2%) is the best choice in very limited circumstances
involving small partitions on large machines.
The system wide license prices for all of our products, with the exception of
Report Designer, are tiered based on your system's
processor group. You can determine your machine's processor group by running the IBM i Work with License Information (WRKLICINF) command.
The partition only license prices for all of our products, with the exception
of Report Designer, are based on the maximum processor capacity
configured for the partition (rounded up to the nearest tenth). You can determine
your partition's maximum processor capacity
by running the IBM i Start System Service Tools (STRSST) command and taking option 5 "Work with
system partitions" then option 1 "Display partition information"
then option 2 "Display partition processing configuration".
The one time charge
services. You are purchasing a permanent license to use the software subject
to the terms of a license agreement and upgrade
|System Wide License (all partitions)
||One Time Charge
|Partition Only License (one partition)
||One Time Charge
|Base per partition
|Add per processor
- The smallest unit of processor capacity is .1 (one tenth). For example,
round 1.43 up to 1.5.
- Example partition only license: 1 partition with 1.43 processors
OTC = $1,195 = $445 + 1.5 X $500.
- Prices for other Gumbo products can be found on our current Price